The best part about all of these Microsoft policy reversals, is that MS actually fixing obvious errors prior to the Xbox One’s release, reputation be damned. It may not totally right the ship or instill confidence in the company, but they are going to move more Xbox One’s this holiday season and getting off to a strong start is extremely important if it ever hopes to make good on some of its more forward thinking ideas.
I will say that I have more confidence in Microsoft’s ability to right the ship than I do with Precursor Games’ relaunch of the Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter. While it has refocused and simplified its pitch, even if the crowdfunding is successful staying on budget enough to finish the game will be easier said than done.
I actually found myself cheering for Activision when it announced that it had bought its freedom from Vivendi Universal. That’s how much I revere Vivendi. I don’t know how you almost screw up the biggest video game publisher in the industry, but it sure as hell tried to drag it down.
Keep up with even more headlines that have our attention on the Horrible Newswire on Google+.
The last few days in headlines
- Spelunky getting daily challenges on Steam. I love dying for leaderboards.
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf lifts Nintendo’s stock to 2 year high. The power of fruit.
- Valve digital used games trial moving forward in Germany. Will they implement a solution before the trial runs its course?
- Original Madden programmer wins lawsuit against EA. Next up, the ruling on whether or not this effects the modern games.
- Eidos Montreal founder leaves Square Enix. Somebody needs to swoop in and save Eidos from its crazy overlords.
- Gun Monkeys lowers price and comes with 3 copies of the game. You definitely need other players to play this.
- Microsoft will allow indies developers to self-publish on Xbox One. Another smart reversal. Next?
- Indie Gamer Chick Bundle is out now on Indie Royale. The best that XBLIG has to offer comes to PC.
- Japanese indie devs not welcome to self-publish on Nintendo platforms. Ouch.
- Shadow of Eternals Kickstarter relaunches. Let’s try this again now that we kinda know what we are doing.
- Smash Bros will not have cutscenes because of the internet. Come on, Nintendo, embrace it or die.
- Activision Blizzard buys itself out of Vivendi’s control. That’s a huge indie publisher.
- Almost 3/4 of Ouya owners haven’t bought a game. This is a problem.
Previews, Trailers and Reviews
- Outlast out on Sept 4th. Your next horror experience.
- Escape Goat 2 ready for Sept 10th release. Looking fantastic. Sequel to one of my favorite puzzle-platformers.
- Divekick lands on Steam on Aug 20th. The only fighting move that matters.
- Mario Kart Arcade Grand Prix DX – I’m gonna need a US Arcade near me to pick this up.