If you haven’t already, you better start paying attention to where you are preordering your games. The disease of preorder bonuses continue to spread and Fallout: New Vegas’s incentives may make you start planning for your character months before you even play the game.
If you check out the breakdown below, you’ll see 5 stores involved in 4 different packs. Each pack lends itself to a slightly different style of gameplay. It all evens out by the middle of the game so these packs will mean nothing in the long run, but it is a uncomfortable trend. I’m not a fan of preorder incentives in general, give me special editions with real-life collector’s items, but give everyone the same playing field to start. My gameplay experience should not be influenced by the store where I purchased the game. It’s frustrating to try and stick with a specific chain of stores and join their rewards based programs if they can’t get the version of the game you want.
GameStop — The Classic Pack:
- Armored Vault 13 Suit – Extensively patched up and dotted with piecemeal armor, this outfit is a homage to the classic ending of the original Fallout.
- Vault 13 Canteen – This handy device is useful for staving off dehydration and providing a small amount of healing in the Mojave Wasteland.
- Weathered 10mm Pistol – A well-worn 10mm pistol that packs an extra punch despite its modest size.
- 5 Stimpaks – Food and water are good for long-term healing, but when the fighting is fierce, Stimpaks help keep Wastelanders upright.
Amazon — The Tribal Pack:
- Tribal Raiding Armor – Pieced together from scraps of armor, this outfit provides protection without impacting mobility.
- Broad Machete – This heavy-bladed melee weapon does high damage against limbs and can quickly deal out a flurry of attacks.
- 5 Bleak Venom doses – Useful on any Melee Weapon, Bleak Venom makes short of work of most living targets.
- 10 Throwing Spears – If you would like to silently pin an enemy’s head to a wall, Throwing Spears are the way to do it.
Steam and Walmart — The Caravan Pack:
- Lightweight Leather Armor – This hand-modified suit of leather armor reduces its overall weight without impacting its ability to protect.
- Sturdy Caravan Shotgun – Despite its rough appearance, this Caravan Shotgun will reliably fire 20 gauge shells until the Brahmin come home.
- 4 Repair Kits – Useful for repairing any outfit or weapon, Repair Kits are a valuable tool for any caravaner.
- Binoculars – The Mojave Wasteland is a dangerous place, but with these trusty Binoculars you’ll be able to spot trouble coming.
Best Buy — The Mercenary Pack:
- Lightweight Metal Armor – Modified for long-range travel, this Metal Armor sacrifices some protection for mobility and overall weight.
- Mercenary’s Grenade Rifle – Though similar to other 40mm Grenade Rifles in the Mojave Wasteland, this model has a faster reload cycle.
- 3 Super Stimpaks – When you absolutely, positively, need to keep your blood inside your body, Super Stimpaks fix you up in no time.
- 3 Doctors Bags – Mercenaries and broken limbs go together like Iguana-on-a-Stick and Nuka Cola. Thankfully, these Doctors Bags take a bit of sting out of the inevitable crushed skull.
Preorder bonuses are one thing, but this store specific garbage needs to stop.