The Today Show took an opportunity to give a thoughtful commentary on adult gamers only to troll the thought on national television. That may be harsh, but if someone said some of the stuff they did in comments we, as a community, would likely point our fingers in disgust and proclaim, “Trolls!”
A video was captured and posted on GameSetWatch. The question posed was, “Do you think it’s okay for men to play video games in their 30s and over?”
Without missing a beat, Kathie Lee Gifford, easily the oldest of the group quickly stated, “No. That’s weird. Xbox.”
Not that I really care what KLG thinks. I am disappointed the question was posed in an obviously one-sided forum.
Adult gamers, at least with this audience, are now viewed as weird. Forget these stats provided by this report:
- 72% of American households play computer or video games.
- The average age of gamer is 37 – with 53% being 18-49 years old.
- 29% of gamers are over the age of 50.
- 42% of gamers are female. This means a good number are over 30.
- 41 is the average age of game purchaser.
I guess, with these stats, the real question is: Are the adults in 28% of the households in America actually the weird ones not conforming to the “norm” of gaming?