A few more lessons in PR hit the web this week, as Capcom struggled to keep some announcements out of the headlines and had poor timing on one they intended to release. Star Wars: The Old Republic finally gets firm pricing info for the software and beta, but no hard release date was set. We continued to go a bit retro on the site this week with our most colorful episode of The Horrible Show and a few confessionals.
Every day we are on the look out for the most interesting news items in the gaming industry. Some make it on the site as headlines, and the articles that just miss the cut end up in the Shiny Objects feed which can be viewed here (or on the sidebar of the site) and subscribed to here. Every Monday we recap the shiniest of the objects, and our original articles from the previous week.
- Editorial // Game Connoisseur: Sampling of Real Time Strategy by Ethan Moses
- REPLY TO ALL // Something About Exercise
- Editorial // I Confess: Ratchet & Clank by Justin Lacey
- The Horrible Show // Versatile Video Game Characters
- Hey! // Listen! Rapper Random Equips the Black Materia by Cole Monroe
- Editorial // It Doesn’t Matter: Your Fans Still Have Questions by JP LaFrance
- Reflex Review // Splosion Man: Splode Because You Can by Cole Monroe
- Weekly Deals // Horribly Awesome Deals of the Week: Cheap Police Work by Ethan Moses
- Meanwhile… // We Need to Talk
- Editorial // I Confess: Japanese Role Playing Games by Justin Gifford
- I Learned Something Today // Burnout Paradise by Justin Lacey
Last Week’s Headlines
20 headlines distracted us and here’s the best from that list:
Stellar: Incubus track pack heading to Rock Band on Aug. 5 – Joystiq
About damn time.
Bastion review: Classic composition – Joystiq
Here comes the Summer of Arcade, and it starts off with a bang.
EA: Consoles now account for 40% of games industry – Destructoid
As recently as 2000, isn’t a comparison.
All 12 New Fighters Revealed For Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 – GameInformer
NBA 2K12 cover athletes revealed: Jordan, Magic, and Bird – Destructoid
That’s one way to concede the fact their won’t be an NBA season.
Star Wars: The Old Republic Special Editions announced – Shacknews
My special edition would include a release date.
Okay, This R2-D2 Xbox 360 Is Cooler Than You’d Expect – Giant Bomb
Not gonna lie, I want this.
The Fourth Mortal Kombat DLC Character is…Probably Not Who You Were Expecting – Piki Geek
It works, it’s crazy, and kind of awesome.
A Lesson in How Not to Cancel a Video Game – Giant Bomb
Hey, look a coherent summary of all of the PR mess that Capcom has generated this week.