Our hearts were in Boston all week for PAX East, which brought about new XBLA release dates, hands-on previews, and more trailers as 2011 starts to heat up. Here on the site we had our first hardware review and JPizzle151 does something none of us had dared when he attempted to take CityVille seriously.
Every day we are on the look out for the most interesting news items in the gaming industry. Some make it on the site as headlines, and the articles that just miss the cut end up in the Shiny Objects feed which can be viewed here (or on the sidebar of the site) and subscribed to here. Every Monday we recap the shiniest of the objects, and our original articles from the previous week.
- Editorial // Game Connoisseur: Gaming Grub by Wizardtrain187
- Editorial // It Doesn’t Matter: Awesome Trailer, So What? by JDevL
- The Horrible Show // Memorable Multiplayer
- Editorial // Social Gaming: Could 29.6 Million People be Wrong? by JPizzle151
- Hey! // Watch! Conan Likes Angry Birds by Colefacekilla
- Editorial // Reverse Engineered: How EA and Tengen Got 1-UP on Sega and Nintendo by Colefacekilla
- REPLY TO ALL // Sound Matters
- Hardware Review // Turtle Beach X41: 7.1 Surround, La-Z-Boy Comfort by GiffTor
- I Learned Something Today // Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 by Wizardtrain187
Last Week’s Headlines
23 headlines distracted us and here’s the best from that list:
Alice: Madness Returns gameplay trailer is no tea party – Joystiq
That’s what I’m talking about. Looks like the spirit of the original is more than intact, but will the gameplay upgrade?
Epic: FOX controversy good for Bulletstorm, bad for games – Destructoid
Good summary, and glad to see that Bulletstorm is selling well.
The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile bites into XBLA on April 6 for $10 – Joystiq
Here’s hoping this game isn’t as ridiculously hard as the first one.
Torchlight XBLA review: All the loot, half the noise – Joystiq
Hope this opens up a new crowd to these dungeon crawlers.
Mortal Kombat Hands-On – Piki Geek
Maybe we should spring for a PSN Plus account? Nah.
Angry Birds Revenues at $70m from $140k Costs – IndustryGamers
That’s quite a profit
Bastion’s story narrated on XBLA this summer – Joystiq
Cannot wait to get my hands on this one.
Xbox Live Labs: Do it for science, do it for avatar items – Joystiq
I will do it!
Batman: Arkham City swoops in October 18 – Destructoid
I’m betting my Halloween costume is Batman related now, too.
Apple Closes In-Game Transactions iOS Loophole, Affecting F2P Games – FingerGaming
Seems like a smart change, won’t solve all of the purchase problems, but a solid step forward.