So, May happened, and it happened quick. My wallet is not ready for this month. Take a look at all the releases coming out this month, it’s the first big month since the rush of titles that hit us after the new year.
The Cursed are here to help you sort through the May madness, but let us know what has the attention of your wallet, your Gamefly account, your sarcastic commentary, or your bargain bin hunting abilities this fall.
What We Are Talking About
- Alan Wake – Xbox 360 – May 18 – Trailer
- Red Dead Redemption – Xbox 360, PS3 – May 18 – Trailer
- Blur – Xbox 360, PS3, PC – May 25 – Trailer
- Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands – Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Wii, DS, PSP – May 18 – Gameplay
- Zeno Clash: Ultimate Edition – PC, Xbox 360 – OUT NOW – Trailer
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 – Wii – May 23 – Trailer
- 3D Dot Game Heroes – PS3 – May 11 – Trailer
- ModNation Racers – PS3, PSP – May 25 – Trailer
- Rocket Knight – XBLA, PSN, PC – May 12 – Trailer
- Skate 3 – Xbox 360, Ps3 – May 11 – Trailer
- Picross 3D – DS – OUT NOW – Quick Look
- Backbreaker – Xbox 360, PS3 – June 1 – Trailer
- Trauma Team – Wii – May 18 – Walk-Through
- Alpha Protocol – Xbox 360, PS3, PC – June 1 – Trailer
- Steam for Mac – May 12 – News Article
Reasonable People Weigh In
- Red Dead Redemption: I was hesitant at first because I’ve grown tired of GTA-style of sandbox games but the chance to do that in an old west setting is really intriguing. I haven’t played a game set in the old west since Gun.Smoke so I thought I would give it another go.
- 3D Dot Game Heroes : I don’t know what else I can say except: yes I’ll take a helping of classic Zelda. The only thing I worry about is repetitive gameplay once I get done oohing and ahhing over the graphical style.
- ModNation Racers: I love the Mario Kart style gameplay, yet that series is pretty tired. I’m not a huge level builder or modder but if the community is as successful as LittleBigPlanet, I can’t wait to see what all those people can come up with.
- I’m pretty excited about Rocket Knight being released soon. Ever since I played Sparkster as a kid, I’ve loved the franchise. This one is a buy for me just because I need to check it out. The same will probably be true for NBA Jam once that is released. As far as the game quality goes, I’m not getting my hopes up.
- Backbreaker looks like it will be a good buy for football fans. The guys over at NaturalMotion are tackling a huge franchise, Madden, so I’m hoping they will be able to break into the football sim sports genre and give Madden some competition. Currently, it seems that Backbreaker’s main attraction is the overly ridiculous amount of customization it offers.
- I honestly don’t know much about Skate 3 other than I’ll definitely try to play it, but going on the history of Skate and other skating genre games, it’s probably a rent.
- Super Mario Galaxy 2: I’m excited about this one mostly because I was never able to play the original Super Mario Galaxy. I didn’t get my Wii until quite a while after Super Mario Galaxy was released, so I ended up playing other games at the time. There were short periods where I played 5-10 minutes of it at a kiosk and enjoyed it. I’ll try to get my hands on Super Mario Galaxy 2 if possible.
- I’m intrigued by Alan Wake, looks like it could be an engrossing game.
- Alpha Protocol looks interesting as well, though I’m a bit hit or miss in that genre.
- I like shooting things and I like cowboys so I’ll probably give Red Dead a shot (ha!)
- I’m also looking forward to the upcoming release of Steam for Mac. Having not upgraded my Windows box for a while, my MacBook is my most powerful machine at the moment and it will be nice to have my already purchased games on the go.
- If I get anything this month, it’ll probably be Blur. If Alan Wake gets really good reviews, I might get that instead.
Somebody’s Math Can’t Be Right
- Alan Wake had my attention at E3 last year with it’s creepy trailer. I trust Remedy Games to pull of an immersive story and memorable gameplay for this mystery/horror experience. Recent reviews have only reaffirmed my stance. Verdict – Must Buy
- Blur sold me weeks ago with their multiplayer. In my mind, it’s Burnout meets Mario Kart and that’s my kind of racing. Verdict – Will Buy
- I have a game-crush on anything Prince of Persia. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands promises to bring back the feel of everyone’s favorite in the series, The Sands of Time. Verdict – Will Buy
- My XBLA Game of the Month has to be Zeno Clash. It’s weird, and manages to pull of the first person brawling incredibly well. This was released on Steam a while ago, but promises additions and refined gameplay for the Xbox 360. Verdict – Will Buy
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 came out of nowhere. I assumed it was a holiday release, but I need to finish the first one before I buy this, no matter how fun it turns out to be. Verdict – Will Buy
- ModNation Racers, I’m gonna watch out for you but I have a feeling that Blur is going to satisfy my racing needs. Verdict – Might Buy
- Picross 3D. Just stay away from me when I have extra cash in my wallet, I will not hesitate to grab you if I see you. So I’m going to try and avoid you until I want to lose countless hours to your puzzling madness. Verdict – Might Buy
- I’m rooting for Backbreaker at the end of the month, the physics heavy football game tries to find the formula for success without the NFL license. Verdict – Pending Reviews
- I’ll be staying away from Red Dead Redemption. Although the Wild West setting hasn’t been done any justice by recent games, this just looks like GTA in another location to me. I’ll stick with Just Cause 2. Verdict – Won’t Buy
May looks to be an expensive month. There are 6… maybe 7 games that I’m sure I’ll own at some point. I try to limit myself to one or two purchases a month and any one of the top five here would easily be a number one pick in an average month. Here they are in the order of my interest:
- Red Dead Redemption (360)
- Alan Wake (360)
- Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands (360)
- Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
- Blur (360)
- Zeno Clash: Ultimate Edition (XBLA)
- Trauma Team (Wii)
- I’ve already paid for Red Dead Redemption and am anxiously awaiting the day I can go pick it up. I think the main storyline will be fun, but I’m really looking forward to the online action. If you haven’t seen anything about it you should check out this video or this video. This game looks incredible and runs on the Rockstar open world Rage engine. I’m a big GTA fan, so putting that in a wild west environment alone sells this game for me.
- While I’m at the store picking up Red Dead I guess I might as well pick up Alan Wake since that’s going to be another must play. I don’t actually know a whole lot about Alan Wake other than it’s a must play and that it’s kind of mysterious… so I think I’ll save learning about the game for actually playing it to keep the mystery alive for myself.
- Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was one of my all time favorites and Forgotten Sands is supposed to be retuning to that style of PoP. Even if it’s just like the most recent PoP release it would be fine for me… I really enjoyed that, too. Take that and mix it with the Sands of Time gameplay and it’s sure to be awesome. I have high expectations… I just hope they’re not too high. I’ll definitely be playing this at some point… I just don’t think I’ll have time to get to it in May!
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 is Super Mario Galaxy 2. For me it’s a “will own”. I know exactly what to expect with it, so it’s not something that’s taking a “need to play now” stance in my queue. It will no doubt be a lot of fun though.
- Blur is a “will own”. I know that much from playing the beta demo. Being that the races are quick and you can jump in and out of it at any time between other games it could be a May purchase. It’ll just depend on how thick my wallet is feeling at the time.
- Zeno Clash is just interesting. I never played it on PC b/c I was holding off for the XBLA release. The weirdness draws me too it… good or bad. From what I’ve read and heard it’s good though. Being that it will be out before these other May releases and it’s only 15 bucks I’m sure to grab it when it comes out.
- Trauma Team… I don’t know… I just thought Trauma Center was some good fun. I haven’t read up on this, so I don’t know of anything special or different about it. I probably won’t pick this up any time soon and if/when I do it will be a cheap used copy, but it still piques my interest for games coming out this month.
Now, It’s Up to You
That about does it, so what are you going to be playing in May? Let us know if we missed anything worth talking about or if we were just flat out wrong in our choices. Good luck this May and don’t waste time with boring video games.
Giant Bomb – images